Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Jamie Jeans

I feel like starting this post with an "OMG you guys... I made frikkin' jeans!!'
It's not modest and all but I am so very proud of my latest make :-D
I love making pretty dresses but the reality is that in my every day life I pretty much always grab jeans and a tee for comfort and practicality. Now I get to do that and wear handmade I'm excited!

Jamie Jeans

Pattern: Jamie Jeans by Named
Size: 38ish
Alterations: yes
Fabric: black Stenzo stretch jeans and faux leather contrast pocket detail.


The Jamie Jeans are from the first collection of sewing patterns by Named. I really loved it when it was first released but since I had not installed a zip fly in well over ten years I wasn't so confident I could pull it off on instructions alone. With the release of their latest collection however, the designers have kindly included updated instructions with diagrams and all sizes are included now in the PDF files.

The only downside is that there are just two sizes per pattern sheet. I so happened to fall between a size 36 and 38 and they are not on the same sheet! So I had to print and tape two full pattern sheets to be able to grade between the sizes,  lets just say that wasn't ideal. And in retrospect I'm not entirely sure I did it right or that I needed to grade between the sizes at all. I was worried a 36 would be too tight around the waist creating the ever flattering muffin top. But my pair is rather loose around the waist and hips. I did add the belt loops so I can wear these belted, hiking up your jeans is not very ladylike now is it ;-)
Next time - and there will be a next time for sure! - I will make a straight up 36 and see how that goes.


Jamie Jeans


Like I mentioned before I had not installed a zip fly in over a decade and never made jeans before so I took to the internet for help. I found these step by step pictures very helpful, thank you for sharing JenniferR!
I used proper jeans top stitching thread which I do think makes the finished jeans look more polished and professional. I did struggle a little with my thread tension using this thread, by the time I got it right I was nearly done.

If like me you haven't sewn your own jeans yet but really want to I can highly recommend you just go for it!  The Jamie Jeans are really not that difficult and the confidence boost you'll get from sewing them is well worth the effort!

Jamie Jeans



 All my favourite picture taking places have been taken over by paint buckets and workmen, I quickly had to vacate the outdoors as I feel self conscious enough posing without an audience! Sorry for the grainy quality my camera does not cope well with indoor lighting and some of these are over exposed on purpose to show more of the details.

Jamie Jeans

One pair down, I think many more to come!

x Leila

13 comments:

  1. they look fantastic! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, love them! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, they look fab! For once I may be tempted to make myself something to wear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - well done you; they look great, aided by a good set of pins there missus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh WOW!! yes you can be proud of yourself! these are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are stunning! Really pro, you must be so impressed with yourself, I know I would be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent job, they look really professional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Jeans are very difficult to sew. You did great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm super impressed, Leila!! They look fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! This is really awesome. They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You totally should have started this with "OMG you guys... I made frikkin' jeans!!' because... you frikkin' made jeans! Congratulations!! They look fantastic x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)